Hand-made, sustainable and recycled Australian timber beds
A bed is an essential furniture item and there are plenty of passable factory made beds available. No-one in the civilised world has to settle for anything other than a soft mattress on a simple bed frame, however, there is a thin line that separates a good bed from a very ordinary bed and in most cases, it all boils down to craftsmanship.
With the advent of the Industrial Revolution, greater and greater strides in the creation of mass-produced goods became possible, so much so that most items we purchase now have been mass-produced. There is something about hand-crafted items (and hand-made furniture in particular) that makes them unique in the way they stand out from the crowd. Here are five reasons why handmade beds are better.
- Durability – compared to most factory-made beds, handmade ones are far more durable. This is due in part to the fact that they’re made from materials of higher quality, but also because they are more carefully constructed than factory assembled goods.
- Flair – something that mass-produced beds simply do not have. Whether it’s the simple and often understated elegance of polished wood and beautiful grain, or the decadent beauty of richly carved timber, these beautiful pieces of furniture aren’t something you can easily find in mass-produced products.
- Variety – there is a reason why mass-produced beds look the way they do – bland and uniform. It’s easy to produce something in a production line, which is why they all look the same, but this is something you’ll never have to settle for with a hand-made bed. The craftsman building a piece of individual furniture can offer the widest range of variety, from the simple to ornate, cheap to expensive. If it’s variety you’re after, handmade is the only way to go.
- Resale value – furniture made by a true craftsman isn’t expensive because it’s handmade – it’s pricey because it is an investment that can pay off in the long term. Older, well-maintained pieces can go up in price, given time and demand, even older handmade pieces that have been around for decades or more, can eventually become prized as an antique.
- Affordability – this may sound contradictory, since it is well-known that hand crafted furniture can be pricey, but considering that it is a one-time investment and you won’t need to replace it in the foreseeable future, it is well worth it. You will not need to spend more money on repairs or replacements, provided that a piece is taken care of properly. This affordability also extends to possible repurposing and recycling of old pieces to make new ones, which would be marginally cheaper than brand-new pieces.
If you’re looking for an artisan to make a top-quality, hand made bed that will stand the test of time; a bed that will prove to be an heirloom worth passing down to your children, then contact Wenborn Wood – Australia’s top custom-made bed manufacturer.
- our furniture will be custom built to your specifications
- we use only sustainably grown or recycled timber approved by the Forest Stewardship Council Australia (FSC)
- we employ only traditional joinery – no nails, staples or screws (except for hinges and handles on tables)
- our furniture is guaranteed to last more than 20 years